28 November 2012

life, as told by a charm bracelet

I came across this post about charm bracelets on Garden & Gun's blog {so jealous she has her mother's and her grandmother's!!}, and was inspired to dig up my old charm bracelet:

charmbracelet-6

I got a silver link bracelet from my aunt when I was about 13, I guess, and decided to turn it into a charm bracelet.
I was all gung-ho about it for about a year, and then I sort of lost interest. 
Then, when I was in college, I decided to switch all my charms over to an Italian silver bracelet, which was a little less dainty than the one I started with, and a little more substantial for holding charms that I'd received over the years.
I decided to transfer several of the charms I'd collected over the years as gifts, or as part of a necklace to one location on my charm bracelet.

charmbracelet-2

I have always adored all things old - old stories, old recipes, anything that tells a story of another time, especially if it involves someone you know.

charmbracelet-1

I love that each charm has a story of its own, and that I can still remember where each one came from, and what it means, even if it is something as simple as being an object that I loved at the time {like the sun, moon, stars phase I went through in middle school, or the Eeyore phase I was in with my friends in high school}.
I especially love receiving them as gifts, because I think it is sort of a little symbol of a connection you have with someone, or a little trinket that reminds them of you, and it always means a lot to me that someone took time to pick something with meaning.

charmbracelet-5

To be perfectly honest, the constant jangle of the bracelet gets on my nerves a little. 
But, I still enjoy collecting charms, telling their stories, and wearing my bracelet as a girlish {I know!} finish to an outfit.

charmbracelet-4

I hope that one day, I will be able to pass my bracelet on to someone in my family who will appreciate the bracelet for what it is as well as the stories behind it.

charmbracelet-3

Do you have a charm bracelet of your own, or one that belonged to someone you love?
I'd love to hear about it, and see pictures! 
Feel free to share a link to a photo in the comments ... I'd love to hear from you!
Anyone can comment!!


4 comments:

Andrew said...

Love those charms!

Lauren Crawford said...

Yes!! I love my bracelete! Definitely tells the story of my life! My aunt has her own amazing bracelet and gave me one when I turned 13! I admire hers everytime we get together and we share stories of what each charm means.

SHUG IN BOOTS {Beth} said...

Hoping Santa will bring me a shiny new one. ;)

SHUG IN BOOTS {Beth} said...

So sweet! And maybe Ms. B will have one of her own too one day! :)