20 August 2010

BRanG iT ONNN DiaBEEtuss!

Last night, I reconnected with a friend I haven't talked to since MIDDLE SCHOOL! Can you believe that? I lived in VA briefly and then back to NC all thereafter, and sadly I lost touch with a bunch of my 8th grade girls. But, it's so amazing how two people can just pick right back up, like we had just talked last week. (Thanks Facebook).

Most of our conversation was about insulin pumps. :) (HOW EXCITING!!) She's a diabetic too. Bless our hearts. But, I know that it's made me a much stronger person, and God wouldn't give me something I couldn't handle. I don't think I'd know what to do if they suddenly came up with a cure tomorrow. People who know me are used to me saying "I'm low" or "I'm high" and they know I'm talking about my blood sugar. Random strangers, on the other hand, were kinda fun - they'd look at my mom like, "Oh my word, what is she doing to that child?!" especially after she responded, well, "You can take another shot when we get home." Hehehe.

Before my insulin pump, I'd whip out my syringe at 9 years old at Mickey D's and shoot my insulin into my thigh before woofin' down my kids meal and going to play on the play ground. (This was the spring-coiled rocking Hamburgler and Ronald McDonald glued to the bench...the "balls pit" was way after my time). For years, I was terrrrrrified of the thought of having a pump. I refused to have something "attached" to me all the time. But, HOLY MONKEY, it's like an electronic pancreas. I'm so blessed to live in a time when we have such fantastic gadgets.

I used to be self conscious about the site (where you put the other end of the tubing into your skin) showing...but now I'll be at the pool or the beach w/ a silver dollar sized "hook up" on my stomach, and I'm like, "What? You've never seen an insulin pump site before?" You learn to get over what people think. (Although in high school I bout gave this guy a heart attack b/c he had a few questions about my taking injections in his car. No worries! It's just insulin! ;))

Chick w/ pump courtesy of new house photos.
Anyhoo, day to day, it doesn't bother me, we've come a lonnnnnnnnnnng way, baby. I remember it taking 2 whole minutes to check my blood sugar (now it's 5 seconds), and I took shots of insulin made from PIGS AND COWS! (now my magical insulin pump takes care of almost everything for me)... but I do sometimes worry about .........dum ...dum dum.dum DUM.......babies. Ever seen Steel Magnolias? Whew. Everything's gravy and then, boom! The kidneys shut down. Next thing you know, M'Lynn is running all over the cemetery in hysterics. My doctor says, "Beth, you know that movie was made in 1989 and we've come such a long way."

But I know, all in all, it's in the Lord's hands. Sure, it's my job to be responsible and do the best I can, but I know that plenty of "normal" chicks have pregnancy complications everyday. Talking to my fellow pumper last night (who has 3 gorgeous healthy children) was really inspiring. Go her! If she can be magical and have an A1c of 5.5, then by golly, why can't I? It's onnnnnnnnn. (For those of you are like what in Moses' name is an A1c?, it basically is a target for your blood sugars).

So, as we were wrapping up our conversation around 1 a.m., I was thinking, the Lord answers us in all sorts of ways. This is something that's been on my mind, and I believe He gets creative with how He talks to us - including sending us a friend who "gets it" in a time of need. I felt so motivated and inspired after talking to her. I know that God puts people in our lives for a reason, and oftentimes, He talks to us through them. Of this, I'm sure.

So, I am sooooooooo ready! Brang it on, dia-bee-tuss. ( I love 80 year olds who pronounce it that way...know the commercial w/ that old dude ridin the horse who says Dia-bee-tuss.) Like nails on a chalk board. Or even better, reallllllllll OLD SCHOOL people who say, "Ohhh, bless uh heart, she got tha sugah." Well, guess what - You right? I do gots tha sugah.

1 comment:

Kimmie Niemitalo said...

I don't know nothin' about birthin no babies, but you gots the sugah. I say "Bring it ON".